Dubai Drydocks started its operations in 1983. Since then the shipyard has repaired over 5000 vessels of all types and sizes many of which are ULCC’s and VLCC’s representing a large proportion of the world’s tanker fleet. Almost all major shipping companies across the globe have utilized the Dubai Drydocks.
Dubai Dry docks is a purpose built ship repair yard designed to minimize transportation of material and personnel between ships and workshops or drydocks jetties and repair berths. The yard employs over 8500 multi-national skilled employees from 30 countries. This work force can be supplemented by 1,500 workers from local subcontractors when required.
Dubai Drydocks nature of operations and achievements are listed below:
- 60% of the worlds VLCC/ULCC dry-docked during 2006 and 2007 choose Dubai Drydocks
- The strategic location of Dubai Drydocks and the booming trade with in this region has resulted in more and more LNG/LPG vessels visiting Dubai Drydocks. Dubai Drydocks is also authorized for maintenance and service of Membrane LNG carriers of Gaz transport & technigaz design
- The rapid development of Gulf region is bringing more and more dry cargo ships into the Yard
- 15 of the world’s biggest dredgers are operating in the Gulf region and in particular Dubai waters. The service and repair of these units are frequently carried out by Dubai Drydocks.
- The container ports around the Gulf are rapidly growing and the number of container ships trading in the region are more and more requiring the services and dry docking at the Yard.
- The service and repair of smaller tonnage vessels operating in the region such as fishing vessels and the coastal ships has always been an important part of Dubai Drydocks work load
- With the number of FPSO and FSO conversions carried out by Dubai Drydocks, the ship yard has established itself as a major player in the market
- Installation of cargo handling equipments for cement and other bulk cargos is a type of conversion, which has been successfully carried out at numerous occasions in the yard
- Between 10 to 15 Jack up Rigs are dry docked / Serviced / repaired at the yard every year
- From the very big fleet of supply ships in the Gulf area many have frequently chosen Dubai Drydocks for their needs of Service and Repairs
- Number of Geo-Technical Ships operating in Indian Ocean and the Gulf has chosen Dubai Drydocks for service and overhaul of their specialized equipment and the ships themselves
- Number of Crane Barges have chosen Dubai Drydocks for their service and repairs. The Size of the big Crane Barge and their heavy equipment requiring repairing facilities which Dubai drydocks can provide.
- Work Barges operating in the Gulf region operate under rough environment. Their requirement for steel repairs and reinforcements is often carried out at Dubai Drydocks.
- Four 6200 ton own designed & built bunker tankers have being delivered during 2006 and 2007
- Tug boats have been built over the years at Dubai Drydocks. Altogether 12 units have been delivered to customers around the Gulf
- Two diving support vessels and one Anchor handling vessel were delivered during 2004 and 2005
- Building of Barges and harbour /Berth pontoons is another market which New building division has been successfully targeting
- Two floating docks have been built at the Yard. A Panmax size which was for the shipyards own use . A 4500 ton loading capacity (TLC) with special dimensions for docking of offshore rigs was built for Saudi ARAMCO.
- Two Aker H6e semisubmersible rigs are under construction at our New-Building Plant. First rig delivery in Aug-2007. Second 8 months later.
- Fast Pilots boats were delivered during 2003, 2004 and 2005. Three completely built in aluminum and three with steel hull and aluminum super structure.
Dubai Drydocks is equipped with Middle East’s Largest Floating Crane.
The floating Crane normally located at Dubai Drydocks is certified by DNV. The Crane is towed to operation location and is manoeuvred by anchor winch system.
- Main Dimensions / Main Equipment
Length overall ——– 86.4 m
4 Hooks-500T each 12m apart
The Crane can lift 2000 t, at 20-33 m outreach at 70m elevation, 150t at 95 m outreach at 43 m elevation.
Docks and Berths: The port is dredged to a depth of 11.5 metres.
- Dock No.1: 366 metres x 66 metres
- Dock No.2: 521 metres x 100 metres
- Dock No.3: 411 metres x 80 metres
- Floating Dock: 205 metres x 32 metres
- Berths: 2,500 metres of repair berths capable of accommodating 8 U.L.C.C.s.
Some Photographs of Dubai Drydocks.
Recently on December 5, 2007 Drydocks World – Dubai was awarded the prestigious Shipyard of the Year Award by Lloyd’s List Middle East and Indian Subcontinent Awards. Dubai Drydocks is integral part of Drydocks World – Dubai. Also, Drydocks World – Dubai has won the British Safety Council Sword of Honour for the fourth year in a row in November 2007.
Update: October 15
Dubai Drydocks now widely known as Drydocks World-Dubai has won the Ship Repair/Shipyard Award at the sixth annual Seatrade Middle East and Indian Subcontinent Awards ceremony held in Dubai.
The award is for best practices in the maritime safety and environment, ports operations, ship maintenance, efficiency, security and finance. Read more from AME Info.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found