Earthrace, the 100% biodiesel boat with a net zero carbon-footprint is preparing to circumnavigate the globe in March 2008 to increase awareness of the environment and the sustainable use of resources.
Earthrace interfaces environmentally friendly technologies such as low-emissions engines, non-toxic anti-foul and efficient hull design. She is also one of the coolest looking powerboats ever imagined. Earthrace with wave piercing hull design has the ability to submarine through waves, and can in fact go up to 7m underwater. This enables the boat to maintain a higher average speed through big seas as compared to a conventional craft.
Earthrace open to the public in London
Earthrace now at London is opened for visitors to go on board and meet the crew at the QEII Pier, Greenwich. Anyone with a GreenwichCard (Greenwich Council’s discount card for residents) will get on board free, everyone else is encourage to make a small donation that will go directly to the boat’s running costs.
- Hull: Wavepiercing Trimaran
- Length: 24m (78ft)
- Beam: 8m (24ft)
- Draft: 1.3m (4ft)
- Range: 3000nm (6000km)
- Maximum speed: 45 knots (90km/h) depends on fuel load
- Fuel: B100 Biodiesel (100%)
- Fuel Capacity: 10,000 litres (2500 gallons)
- Displacement: 10 ton
- Construction: Carbon , Kevlar composites
- Crew: 4
- Beds: 8
- Engines: 2 x 350kW (540 hp) Cummins Mercruiser
- Gearboxes: ZF 305A (single speed)
- Air intakes: top of wings to remain above waves while piercing
- Windscreen: 17mm laminated toughened glass
Some photographs of Stunning Earthrace:
View a Earthrace sponsorship video clip.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found