All passengers and crew, including the captain of M/S Explorer, are completely safe and in good spirits. The first flight from King George Island has now landed in Punta Arenas, Chile. 75 passengers and 2 staff/crew members were onboard the flight. 11 passengers and 66 staff and crew remain on King George Island and, weather permitting, will be flown to Punta Arenas tomorrow. All passengers are safe and in good spirits. One passenger has reported a sore foot and has been taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Representatives from the consular offices of Australia, Britain, Canada and the United States are on the ground in Punta Arenas working with G.A.P Adventures staff to assist passengers. Flights home from Punta Arenas are being coordinated.
Canadian cruise operator gapadventures boasts of “The Little Red Ship”, Explorer built in 1969 as
- Specifically designed for the rigours of expedition travel as well as the safety, comfort and convenience of her passengers.
- She was the first expedition ship ever constructed, not a converted freighter or research vessel.
- Her compact size, shallow draft and ice strengthened double hull were specifically designed for challenging marine environments and exploratory travel.
- Her cabins and common areas were conceived for passenger comfort and enjoyment. All of Explorer’s public areas were designed to hold everyone on the ship in one sitting; so there is no need for multiple meal and lecture shifts.
- Small, agile and stalwart, she was a go-anywhere ship for the go-anywhere traveller.
Explorer Quick Facts
- lounge and onboard library
- fully outfitted lecture hall
- small gym, sauna and pool
- all cabins with private bath and outside view
- dining room serving international cuisine
- medical clinic and onboard doctor
- gift shop
- topside observation deck with 360-degree unobstructed view
- double, ice-hardened hull ice rating 1A1 ice A
- large fleet of Zodiacs with clean 4-stroke engines
Some photos of MV Explorer, which attracted so many travellers
Watch the rescue video
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found