Increasingly drug smugglers and terrorists are proving their expertise to build home made submarines to achieve their goal. This trend is alarming. Recently pravda reported on this subject. The following information is worth noting:
- Colombian marines captured two homemade fiberglass submarines that were to ship drugs from the country’s Pacific Coast.
- The two submarines were found in the swamps around Colombia’s largest port, Buenaventura near a clandestine shipyard.
- One of the vessels was 17-meter-long (56-foot-long) craft with the capacity to transport 5 tons. The marines have sent this vessel to nearby naval base which was ready to sail.
- Marines destroyed the second vessel which was 70 percent completed when discovered.
- The navy said both the submarines belonged to Colombia’s largest rebel group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.
- Since 2005, the Colombian armed forces have uncovered nine home-built submarines.
OldSailor congratulates Columbian Marines for their timely action.
Update: July 18, 2008.
Now it is the turn of Mexican Navy. A 10m long home made submarine suspected to be carrying cocaine was caught by Mexican Navy about 322 km off the southern state of Oaxaca. The submarine is being towed to Port of Salina Cruz. Read more from ‘The New Zealand Herald‘.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found